State roads, including State Highways (SH), are declared as New National Highways (NH) from time to time based on established principles. State highway criteria for declaring as new NH may include any of the following:-
- Roads that cross the length/width of the country.
- By connecting adjacent countries, national capitals with state capitals / mutually state capitals, major ports, non-major ports, large industrial centers or tourist centers.
- Roads with an important strategic requirement in a hilly and isolated area.
- Arterial roads that allow for a significant reduction in travel distances and achieve substantial economic growth.
- Roads that help open up large stretches of backwater and hills.
- Roads contributing to the achievement of the national road network of 100 km.
- Synergy with PM GatiShakti National Master Plan (NMP).
There is currently no proposal for declaring Petlavad in Ratlam road as NH.
The present State Highways (SH) connect Ratlam and Jhabua with the 8 lane Delhi-Vadodara Expressway. As informed by Madhya Pradesh Road Development Corporation Ltd. (MPRDC) Request for Proposal (RFP) has been invited for the engagement of consultants for the preparation of Feasibility Report / Detailed Project Report (DPR) for 4 lanes with paved shoulder of existing SH.
This information was provided by the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari, in a written response to the Lok Sabha.