The vision of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities is to build an inclusive society wherein Persons with disabilities (Divyangjans) can lead productive, safe, and dignified lives with adequate support for their growth and development. It aims to support and empower PwDs through programs of educational, economic, and social development and rehabilitation wherever necessary. The mandate of the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities is the empowerment of the socially, educationally, and economically marginalized persons with Disability (Divyangjans)
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment was set up in May 2012 with the aim to facilitate empowerment and inclusion of persons with disabilities and acts as a nodal agency to look after all development agenda of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan). Empowerment of persons with disabilities is an inter-disciplinary process, covering various aspects namely, prevention, early detection, intervention, education, health, vocational training, rehabilitation, and social integration.
The vision, mission, and strategies of the Department are:
Vision: To build an inclusive society in which equal opportunities are provided for the growth and development of Persons with Disabilities so that they can lead productive, safe, and dignified lives.
Mission: To empower Persons with Disabilities, through its various Acts/ Institutions/Organizations and Schemes for rehabilitation and to create an enabling environment that provides such persons with equal opportunities, and protection of their rights and enables them to participate as independent and productive members of society.
Major Achievement of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
- President conferred National Awards for outstanding work towards empowerment of persons with disabilities on International Day of Persons with Disabilities on 3 December 2022.
- Sign Language Day celebration at 3200 places across India/Sign Language interpreters in every district
- Mega Divya Kala Mela organized at Kartavya path, India Gate, New Delhi
- DIVYA KALA SHAKTI; Witnessing Abilities in Disabilities;-an innovative platform to showcase Divyangjan’s innate talents in the field of Art n Culture
- Two days Sensitization Workshops held at Kewadiya and Indore on 4th March and 15th September 2022 respectively/ Proactive measures are essential to developing a favorable attitude among the public towards Divyangjan to achieve the goal of sustainable inclusive development: Dr. Virendra Kumar emphasizes in his address at Tent City Kewadiya.
- 5th Meeting of Central Advisory Board (CAB), on Disability
- MoUs signed with Amazon and Flipkart / DEPwD, for the first time, comes in association with e-commerce companies Flipkart and Amazon for inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in the e-commerce sector/All the MoUs aim to create a structured skill development intervention and mechanism for mainstreaming of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) into the mainstream economy in a fast track mode. Private companies should be associated for empowering PwDs by providing them with employment opportunities and making them self-reliant.
- Building of the National Institutes/Composite Regional Centers was inaugurated and the foundation stone was laid to expand their service delivery system to provide better rehabilitation services in a barrier-free environment.
Detail:- CRC KOZHIKODE, CRC DEVNAGIRI, CRC Rajnandgaon, CRC Shillong, NI- SVNIRTAR Cuttack Odisha ( 100 bedded Annex Rehabilitation Building hospital inaugurated)
- 100-bedded Annex Rehabilitation Building inaugurated at SVNIRTAR, Cuttack.
- Hon’ble Minister of SJ&E, Dr. Virendra Kumar felicitated and interacted with the winner of the Indian National Blind Cricket team T20BlindWorldCup2022 on 22 December 2022 at Dr. Ambedkar International Center, New Delhi.
- President conferred National Awards for outstanding work towards empowerment of persons with disabilities on International Day of Persons with Disabilities on 3 December.