Every year on July 3rd, National Fried Clam Day is observed. Fried clams are an iconic food of New England and the United States. Seaside clam shacks or roadside restaurants often serve these delectable nuggets.
Milk is used to dip the clams into flour, and cornstarch or pastry is used to coat the shellfish. They are then fried in deep oil. Some restaurants fry clam strips, while others serve the whole softshell. Clams are usually served with French fries and tartar sauce.
National Fried Clam Day 2022 Theme
The theme of “savoring and serving clam” stands as prominent in the day. National Fried Clam Day revolves primarily around clams. On this day, we celebrate with clam dishes and especially introduce new clam recipes. A highlight here is also the recollection of the couple’s story.
National Fried Clam Day: History
Lawrence Henry Woodman introduced fried clams to his roadside restaurant menu in 1916, which led to National Fried Clam Day. He ran a small restaurant that served fried clams. The dish became popular for its taste. The first popular fried clams dish was made on July 3 in Essex. Sofforon Brothers’ Clam & Co. sold the dish to Howard Johnson, who owned America’s most popular chain hotel. Howard Johnson made the dish available at all of his branches after listing it on his menu.
How to celebrate National Clam Day 2022?
Enjoy fried clams with your family on this day by trying out this recipe. Due to the pandemic, many restaurants have closed, so you can check the recipe on the internet and make fried clams at home. The clams can be served with fries or slices of bread. Tartar sauce or any other type of sauce can be served with this.
Read More: 3 July in Indian and World History
Interesting Facts About Fried Clam Day
- There are about 150 edible varieties of clams.
- Clams have no nose, eyes, or heads, they have only feet for burrowing into the sand for protection from predators.
- A clam can live from 33 to 36 years old.
- Calm has low cholesterol and fat content. However, Fried clams absorb cooking fat.
- It is quite common to eat fried clams in New England compared to the United States. However, the fried clam is reported to be originated in the United States.